The Basics of Dutch Cooking
By Karin Engelbrecht, About.com Guide
History and Background of Dutch Food
The Romans, French, Spanish, Indonesians, Surinamese, Moroccans and Turkish have all stamped their unique influence on the Dutch kitchen. Holland, in turn, has left its own culinary legacy in some parts of the world. The history of food in the Netherlands takes us from humble beginnings, through the glory of the Golden Age and Holland's subsequent frugal phase through to today's exciting food revolution.
Dutch Food Culture
Join me for a look at Holland's daily eating habits, unique quirks and food trends.
- Drop - A National Obsession
- Dutch Culinary Icons
- Dutch Food Trends 2011
- Forgotten Veggies - The New Trend
- What's the Difference Between Brown Cafe's, Eetcafes and Restaurants?
- Typical Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Meals
- 10 'New Dutch' Dishes
The most important holidays on the Dutch calendar are undoubtedly Sinterklaas, Christmas, New Year's Eve, Easter and Queen's Day, each with its own traditions and treats.
- Sint-Maarten (St. Martin's Day)
- Sinterklaas (St. Nicholas' Eve)
- Kerst (Christmas)
- Oud en Nieuw (New Year)
- Pasen (Dutch Easter)
- Koninginnedag (Queen's Day)
- 10 Dutch Holiday Treats
- My Favorite Dutch Foodie Finds 2010
- Valentine's Day Menu Ideas
Getting Started with Dutch Cuisine
Get the insider's guide to Dutch cooking from a local. Find out which recipes will give you a flavor of Holland, and see my step-by-step instructions so that you can make common Dutch ingredients at home.
- 10 Dutch Appetizers
- 10 Dutch Recipes to Try
- 10 Dutch Breakfast & Brunch Recipes
- 10 Dutch Recession-Busting Recipes
- Dutch Cookbook Measurements - How to Decipher a Dutch 'Kookboek'
- Substitutes for Common Dutch Ingredients
- How to Make Almond Paste
- How to Make Veal Croquettes
- How to Make Speculaaskruiden
- How to Make Hangop
- What to Do With Cauliflower
- What to Do With Witlof (Belgian Endive)
Glossary of Dutch Food Terms
If Dutch is all Greek to you, this glossary of common Dutch dishes, ingredients and terms might just help you on your way. Click on the title for an explanation or some extra info and pictures.
Reviews & Recommendations
An overview of our favorite Dutch cookbooks, restaurants, websites & shops.
- 10 Best Restaurants in Amsterdam for Dutch Cuisine
- Best Amsterdam Terraces
- Dutch Restaurant Reviews
- Favorite Amsterdam Foodie Spots
- Favorite Groningen Foodie Spots