The Bottom Line
- The concept is certainly new, especially considering that yogurt is such a typically Dutch product.
- It tastes like a yoghurt drink - fresh, tart and not too sweet.
- Makes a great base for fruity cocktails.
- To make an even better gift, it should be packaged in a yogurt carton for consumers too.
- A new liqueur by Amsterdam-based drinks company Lucas Bols, known for their liqueurs, genevers and gins.
- A milky-white drink that can be enjoyed on the rocks or in various cocktail mixes.
- Now available at liquor stores across the Netherlands. Bols Natural Yoghurt retails at €9,99 for 0,5 liter (1 pint).
- For further information see the Lucas Bols website.
Guide Review - Bols Natural Yoghurt Liqueur
Interestingly, my husband and 22 year old step-son turned their noses up, while my 18 year old step-daughter liked it even more than I do. Clearly, this is a drink aimed at women, and young ones at that. Summing up the taste as "Like Fristi with alcohol", a pretty apt description, considering that this popular children's drink is also made with milk, she added, 'I bet this would taste great in a cocktail with strawberries'. Indeed, the drink was designed to drink pure on the rocks or in fruity cocktails mixes.
What also appealed was the packaging. Or what I thought was the packaging. The press people had presented the bottle to me within a yogurt carton. However, I quickly learned that this gimmick was 'for press only'. A real shame, as it would have been ideal for Sinterklaas, when packaging gifts in unexpected ways is, well, expected. However, the bottle itself looks pretty nice too, with a creamy white exterior to match the milky substance inside, a glossy blue label and a silver screw top. All things considered, a good gift for the coming holiday season and beyond.