The Bottom Line
- Good old Gouda has been given a makeover.
- This cheese tastes every bit as good as it looks.
- These mild, milky cheeses will appeal to all types, making them an ideal gift or souvenir.
- Only available online.
- Hand made artisanal 'boerenkaas' (farmer's cheese) Baby Gouda's, from Jongenhoeve farm.
- Available in young mature (6 weeks) and mature (8 weeks).
- Comes in six trendy designs.
- Measures approx. 14 cm (5,5 inches) in diameter.
- It sells online on via www.designkaas.nl for €17,95 per cheese (about $24,00 excl. shipping).
Guide Review - Product Review: Designkaas
While it's a feast for the eye, I'm happy to report that this cheese doesn't only look good, it tastes good too. The 'boerenkaasjes' are hand made on Jongenhoeve farm in Bergambacht, Van Leeuwen's home town, near Gouda. These Baby Goudas measure approximately 5 1/2" (14 cm) and weigh roughly 2 lb (1 kg). The cheese is available in 'jong belegen' (young mature), aged for 6 weeks, and 'belegen'(mature cheese), aged for 8 weeks. Both are mild and milky in taste, with a grassy nose and a creamy texture, making them suitable for every palate. The mature cheese is slightly harder and has a subtle piquancy. Serve the Dutch way: cut into little cubes, as a snack with drinks or use for sandwiches.