- 2 tbsp vegetable/sunflower oil
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin (jeera)
- 5 cardamom pods, bruised (simply bruise the pods with the bottom of a spice jar)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef (450 g)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Grated cheese
- Coriander leaves
In a frying pan, over a medium heat, fry the garam masala and other spices in the oil for a minute or two (just until the spices release their aroma), before adding the onions. Once the onions are softened, add the garlic and then the ground beef. Brown the meat and then add the tomato paste. Now fish out the hard spices (the cardamom pods and cinnamon).
Slice open the 'oliebollen' like soft buns and fill with the curried minced beef. Serve warm. You can also top the curry bunnies with grated cheese and/or chopped coriander leaves.
Makes enough for about a dozen curry bunnies.