Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours, 20 minutes
Yield: Serves 4 as a main.
- 2 onions
- 1 1/2 lb (725 g) carrots ('winterpeen')
- 2 leeks
- 1 lb (500 g) waxy potatoes
- 2 lb (1 kg) stewing beef ('runderriblappen'), cubed
- 2 tbsp flour
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 bottle Dutch bockbier (or brown ale)
- 1 pint beef stock (500 ml)
- 1/2 cup (20 g) celery leaf, chopped
Put the beef cubes into a plastic freezer bag, along with the flour and seasonings. Knot the bag and toss to coat the meat well.
In a Dutch oven, heat half the butter and all of the oil and brown the meat on all sides. Remove the beef from the pan and set aside.
Add the rest of the butter to the pot and fry the onions and leeks until soft and translucent. Add the meat back to the pot, along with the carrots, potatoes, cloves, bay leaves and mustard. Pour in the brown beer and beef stock. Cover the Dutch oven with its lid and allow to stew gently over a low heat for three hours.
Sprinkle with celery leaf and serve in bowls, with plenty of crusty bread to mop up the broth.