The Bottom Line
- Many inspiring new dishes to try, alongside some good old classics.
- Great selection of recipes - from veggie dishes to meat, poultry, fish and sweets.
- Plenty of variation tips, wine suggestions, product information and other tidbits.
- Only available in Dutch, unfortunately.
- Lekker Hollands
- By Yolanda van der Jagt
- Published by Mo' Media
- Euro 29,95
- ISBN 13 978 90 57672 29 3
Guide Review - Dutch Cookbook Review: Lekker Hollands
Yolanda van der Jagt is that rare chef who can create a cookbook for home cooks that is a pleasure to cook from - easy, clear and accessible - even if you don't have 12 line cooks to help you out. The cookbook is laid out simply and effectively, with sections for vegetables & herbs, fish, poultry, meat and dairy & sweets. There are ideas for starters, snacks, mains and desserts. Most recipes come with a corresponding full page color photograph by Sven Benjamins. I've heard the style criticized by some as being 'too salt of the earth', but I feel that the honest design and photography somehow fit with Yolanda's pure approach to food.
Van der Jagt offers a fresh new take on Dutch food - one that I like very much. She is not afraid to innovate classic recipes, nor does she overdo it. And she offers plenty of ideas and inspiration using ingredients that are easy to find in the Netherlands. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that this has been my favorite Dutch cookbook of recent years.
Try a Recipe from the Book: