- 2.2 lb Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into medium-sized chunks (1 kg)
- 2.2 lb Conference pears, peeled, cored and cut into medium-sized chunks (1 kg)
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lemons, grated zest and juice
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 3 cups white wine vinegar (750 ml)
- 1 cup rose wine (250 ml)
- 8 oz dried apricots (225 g), finely chopped
- 8 oz raisins (225 g)
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 3 tsp speculaas spices (or pumpkin pie spices)
- 1 tbsp dried chile flakes
- 1 tbsp salt
- 4 cups dark brown sugar (800 g)
Add the remaining vinegar, the rose wine and the rest of the ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer for another 45 minutes, or until thick and jelly-like. Check regularly and stir so it doesn't stick, especially towards the end. Leave to cool for 20 minutes.
In the meantime, wash jam jars and lids with warm, soapy water, rinse well, and leave to dry in a warm oven (250 degrees F/130 degrees C) for 15 minutes.
Spoon chutney into the sterilized jam jars. Store in a cool, dark place for a few weeks before serving.
Makes 3-4 jars of chutney.