Yield: Serves 4
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 heads of witlof (Belgian endive/chicory), plus extra for garnish
- 2 floury potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup chicken stock (300 ml)
- 2 small bottles witbier (white beer), (about 2 1/2 cups or 600 ml)
- 1 star anise pod
- 4/5 cup heavy cream (200 ml)
- 1 cup bacon lardons (150 g)
- 4 tbsp chopped chives
- You will also need:
- A stick blender
Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over a medium heat and cook the onions and garlic until soft and translucent. Add the witlof and cook for 1 minute. Now add the chicken stock, white beer, potatoes and star anise. Allow to simmer until the potatoes are soft.
Take off the heat and add the cream. Remove the star anise pod. Purée the soup with a stick blender and then pass it through a sieve.
Meanwhile fry the bacon lardons in a frying pan until crispy. Serve the soup warm with the bacon, raw witlof and chopped chives.