Use fresh fava beans when in season (or frozen fava beans for year-round enjoyment). While I prefer the depth of flavor chicken stock adds, you could easily make a vegetarian version using vegetable stock.
This recipe was translated and adapted from the original Dutch in Homemade cookbook and reprinted here with the publisher's permission.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 2 cups organic fava beans (broad beans), (300 g)
- 1 quart chicken- or vegetable stock (1 liter)
- 2-3 spring onions, cleaned and finely chopped
- 1 bunch basil
- 1 avocado
- 1 small clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche (125 g)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Purée the soup using a stick blender for at least six minutes. It may seem like a long time, but it will make your soup very smooth.
Purée the avocado with the garlic and the rest of the basil in a food processor. Keep a few basil leaves aside for the garnish. Add the crème fraîche and mix through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.