Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 2 lb potatoes (900 g)
- 1 small celeriac (1 1/2 lb/700 g)
- 2 pints chicken stock (1 l)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp grainy mustard (preferably Zaanse mosterd)
- 2 cups grated (young) Gouda cheese (90 g), plus a little extra for the garnish
- 1/2 pint milk
- Salt & ground white pepper, to taste
- 4 slices boiled ham, finely shredded
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
Turn the heat low and take the pot off the heat. Remove the bay leaf and puree the vegetables until smooth.
Add the milk and grated cheese and return to the stove. Allow the cheese to melt, stirring regularly. Season to taste.
Spoon the soup into bowls, top with some of the shredded ham, a little grated cheese and finely chopped chives.